Sunday, February 18, 2007

Proof that one small act can casue a huge effect on many peoples lives

Well, let me start by saying that I feel like a fool. Now I'll explain. On January 30, 2007 I set into motion some very big changes with one little act. I was driving in my truck to work, and for some reason decided that it would be a good time to run it in 4 wheel drive for a few minutes to work out the gears a little bit. So I reached up and pressed the button to put it into 4hi, and then it happend.

There was a very loud bang noise, and the truck ground down to 5 miles an hour and stayed there. I pulled off of the road and tried to get the 4 wheel drive to dis-engage to no avail. I called work to tell them that I was going to be late and then called a wrecker. So from this moment we were down to 3 vehicles for 4 drivers, and with $3000 needed to fix it, the truck is dead indefinalty.

My wife had to leave work early to come pick me up from the auto body shop. From that point on, we went home and I drove to work. In the following days I had to share a vehilce with my mother in law. This meant that on her days off I just used the car. On days that she had to work, I had to take her early, which meant that she had to sit around for about 45 minutes before she could start work. I then had to go pick her up after work.

Her car needed brakes bad, but because I was having to use it all the time, she couldn't get it in, which make it worse every day. On days that she had to work at 12pm I took her and someone else had to go get her.

Now to fast forward, to show even more how my small action continued to effect others. My brother offered to give me a car. He and my older sister just drove down here from NJ at their expense through a huge snow storm which caused the trip to last 3 days instead of 2. When they got here, they had no time to rest because they had to take my wife to work then come pick me up.

I was able to treat them to dinner at Risky's Steakhouse in the Stock yards, so that was good. Later last night my sister's asthma was casuing her to have difficlty breathing, so I took her to the ER at Harris Hospital for a breathing treatment. Well, we got there at 10pm and at 4:30am, she was finally released. It took forever, and it was exhusting. We got home at 5am and had to be back up at 7am to get to the airport to drop them off for their flight home today. The worst part is, if she was still at home, she could have been in and out of the ER, or better yet been able to see her doctor.

This has caused a burdon on so many people, all from a push of a button. I truly do feel like a fool.

1 comment:

Ku'uipo said...

Shane that will teach you not to push or touch any buttons right.....lol Don't beat yourself up for it, its all part of live and learn.